Red Store

The Red Store, Lerryn

The Red Store was erected in the mid 19th C. However, a two-foot high band of stone around the base differs in quality from that above, and in the cellar joist holes can be seen, indicating a previous floor, much lower than the existing ground floor. The obvious conclusion is that the building stands on the remains of a much earlier building. This is a matter, which requires further investigation when time, and energy, permits.

The store is one of the few remaining examples of the many riverside warehouses that adjoined the Fowey River and its tributaries. Few goods were imported or exported by road and the riverside warehouses were important for the local economy and the survival of its inhabitants.

Since the decline of the water-borne trade, the Red Store has had a variety of uses - newsprint was stored here for recycling during the war effort; the mill in the village used the building as admin and workshop space and for a time it was used by the village youth club. In recent years the building was used to store the household possessions of its owner, Mrs W Elin who had moved from the village to a retirement home.

For many years the Parish council had recognised the potential of the building for community use and, realising that conversion to a dwelling would probably change it beyond recognition, set about trying to persuade the building's owners to sell it to the council. In 2002 the owners’ agents indicated that, not only was the sale of the building possible, but also that it could be at a very reasonable price and that time could be allowed for the funds to be raised.
The Parish councils of St Veep and St Winnow combined forces to set about raising the money for the purchase, conversion and restoration of the building, having staged a consultation event to gauge public support for the project. An initial grant of £2000 from Caradon D.C. enabled the initial survey, plans and applications for planning permission.
Having gained planning permissions, applications were made to HLF, Objective 1, RDA, and Caradon for funding. Then, having gained declarations of intent from the funders, Architects were appointed and the building cleared for full survey. Part of the survey included a Bat and Owl report and it was found that a rare Lesser Horseshoe male bat was in residence. Due to the rarity of this creature all work stopped whilst a professional investigation took place and, as a consequence an application had to be made to disturb the bat whilst work took place. The application was eventually approved by, the District Council, English Nature and Defra. Significant parts of the building are now dedicated to several species of bat and other creatures.

Work commenced on the building in November 2005 with estimates for completion in March 2006. Work was actually completed in August 2006 though it is anticipated that the project will be in the region of £55k under budget. The total funding package was £327,000.

The upper part of the building has been converted to self-contained workshops that are let to local small businesses. The revenue from these workshops provides for the maintenance of the building. The lower floor is available for hire for social and educational events, and is regularly used for meetings by the 2 Parish Councils and Lerryn History Society.

 

Documents relating to Red Store (most relevant first):

The Red Store, 2010

1914 Lowertown, on the steps of The Store.
1914 Lowertown, on the steps of The Store. [LER-57-29]
1914 Lowertown, on the steps of The Store. [LER-57-29]
c1910 Lowertown, cottages and quay
c1910 Lowertown, cottages and quay [LER-57-35]
c1910 Lowertown, cottages and quay [LER-57-35]
Pre-1911 Drawing of the stores at Lowertown Lerryn
Pre-1911 Drawing of the stores at Lowertown Lerryn [LER-57-42]
Pre-1911 Drawing of the stores at Lowertown Lerryn [LER-57-42]
1920s Lerryn River, Regatta
1920s Lerryn River, Regatta [LER-57-53]
1920s Lerryn River, Regatta [LER-57-53]
1930. Lerryn Lowertown. Trading Vessel moored at the Red Store quay, near Couch's Store (now The Boathouse) and Black Store (no longer there).
1930. Lerryn Lowertown. Trading Vessel moored at the Red Store quay, near Couch's Store (now The Boathouse) and Black Store (no longer there). [LER-57-112]
1930. Lerryn Lowertown. Trading Vessel moored at the Red Store quay, near Couch's Store (now The Boathouse) and Black Store (no longer there). [LER-57-112]
1930s? Lowertown.  The old Store (since demolished). The Boathouse. The Red Store. Ricardie (now Grebe Cottage).
1930s? Lowertown. The old Store (since demolished). The Boathouse. The Red Store. Ricardie (now Grebe Cottage). [LER-57-157]
1930s? Lowertown. The old Store (since demolished). The Boathouse. The Red Store. Ricardie (now Grebe Cottage). [LER-57-157]
1940s. Lowertown green from what is now the Todds' front garden (the Boathouse). The child is Elizabeth Elin, who eventually sold the Red Store to the two Parish Councils in 2004.
1940s. Lowertown green from what is now the Todds' front garden (the Boathouse). The child is Elizabeth Elin, who eventually sold the Red Store to the two Parish Councils in 2004. [LER-57-170]
1940s. Lowertown green from what is now the Todds' front garden (the Boathouse). The child is Elizabeth Elin, who eventually sold the Red Store to the two Parish Councils in 2004. [LER-57-170]
1939-45. Trevogal, moored by the Red Store.
1939-45. Trevogal, moored by the Red Store. [LER-57-182]
1939-45. Trevogal, moored by the Red Store. [LER-57-182]
1950s. Lerryn, Lowertown. The  Red Store steps.
1950s. Lerryn, Lowertown. The Red Store steps. [LER-57-217]
1950s. Lerryn, Lowertown. The Red Store steps. [LER-57-217]
Lerryn Regatta. Generator lorry by the Red Store at high tide (5.7m, 1830), Monday August 26, 1957.
Lerryn Regatta. Generator lorry by the Red Store at high tide (5.7m, 1830), Monday August 26, 1957. [LER-57-253]
Lerryn Regatta. Generator lorry by the Red Store at high tide (5.7m, 1830), Monday August 26, 1957. [LER-57-253]
1961. By the Red Store. Richenda & Juliet Fenwick with Mrs Bennet's Aylesbury ducks.
1961. By the Red Store. Richenda & Juliet Fenwick with Mrs Bennet's Aylesbury ducks. [LER-57-363]
1961. By the Red Store. Richenda & Juliet Fenwick with Mrs Bennet's Aylesbury ducks. [LER-57-363]
Lowertown from scaffolding on the Red Store, 2006. The Boat House, the Bridge, Wood Cottage, Tregoose.
Lowertown from scaffolding on the Red Store, 2006. The Boat House, the Bridge, Wood Cottage, Tregoose. [LER-57-545]
Lowertown from scaffolding on the Red Store, 2006. The Boat House, the Bridge, Wood Cottage, Tregoose. [LER-57-545]
2006. Red Store Restoration. Ken Hoskin, Barry Campbell-Taylor, Alasair Todd.
2006. Red Store Restoration. Ken Hoskin, Barry Campbell-Taylor, Alasair Todd. [LER-57-570]
2006. Red Store Restoration. Ken Hoskin, Barry Campbell-Taylor, Alasair Todd. [LER-57-570]
2006. Red Store Restoration. John Philp climbing.
2006. Red Store Restoration. John Philp climbing. [LER-57-571]
2006. Red Store Restoration. John Philp climbing. [LER-57-571]
2006. Red Store Restoration. Brian Sheriff & Esthermary Todd. Barry Campbell-Taylor.
2006. Red Store Restoration. Brian Sheriff & Esthermary Todd. Barry Campbell-Taylor. [LER-57-572]
2006. Red Store Restoration. Brian Sheriff & Esthermary Todd. Barry Campbell-Taylor. [LER-57-572]
2006. Red Store Restoration. Scaffolding.
2006. Red Store Restoration. Scaffolding. [LER-57-573]
2006. Red Store Restoration. Scaffolding. [LER-57-573]
Art & Craft Exhibition in the Red Store, May 2009.
Art & Craft Exhibition in the Red Store, May 2009. [LER-57-578]
Art & Craft Exhibition in the Red Store, May 2009. [LER-57-578]
May 2009. Art & Craft exhibition in the Red Store.
May 2009. Art & Craft exhibition in the Red Store. [LER-57-579]
May 2009. Art & Craft exhibition in the Red Store. [LER-57-579]
May 2009. Art & Craft Exhibiition in the Red Store with the first slide show of pictures from the Village Archive.
May 2009. Art & Craft Exhibiition in the Red Store with the first slide show of pictures from the Village Archive. [LER-57-580]
May 2009. Art & Craft Exhibiition in the Red Store with the first slide show of pictures from the Village Archive. [LER-57-580]
The Red Store Project, 2004. Esthermary Todd, Barry & Judith Campbell-Taylor, Eric Baker, George Mansell, Ken Hoskin.
The Red Store Project, 2004. Esthermary Todd, Barry & Judith Campbell-Taylor, Eric Baker, George Mansell, Ken Hoskin. [LER-57-603]
The Red Store Project, 2004. Esthermary Todd, Barry & Judith Campbell-Taylor, Eric Baker, George Mansell, Ken Hoskin. [LER-57-603]
The Red Store, 2004
The Red Store, 2004 [LER-57-604]
The Red Store, 2004 [LER-57-604]
The Red Store, 2004
The Red Store, 2004 [LER-57-605]
The Red Store, 2004 [LER-57-605]
The Red Store, 2004
The Red Store, 2004 [LER-57-606]
The Red Store, 2004 [LER-57-606]
The Red Store, 2006
The Red Store, 2006 [LER-57-607]
The Red Store, 2006 [LER-57-607]
The Red Store, 2010
The Red Store, 2010 [LER-57-608]
The Red Store, 2010 [LER-57-608]
Ken and Margaret Hoskin at home, Sept. 2010.  (Red Store, The Boathouse, Tregoose, Wood Cottage)
Ken and Margaret Hoskin at home, Sept. 2010. (Red Store, The Boathouse, Tregoose, Wood Cottage) [LER-57-612]
Ken and Margaret Hoskin at home, Sept. 2010. (Red Store, The Boathouse, Tregoose, Wood Cottage) [LER-57-612]
Launch of the new LHS website.
Launch of the new LHS website. [LER-57-624]
Launch of the new LHS website. [LER-57-624]
   Wednesday, 18 October, 2017    © Lerryn History Society 2017